George Clooney, Bobby Flay, Duff Goldman, and Alton Brown's Lemon Curd...All In One Post!

Fresh Lemon Curd

My name is Alexandra, and I am a Food Network junky!

Now, I'm not really the "starstruck" type...umm, well, except for George Clooney...yeah, I'd definitely be "starstruck" if I had the chance to meet George...but as great as it sounds, that'd be bad, really bad! You see, we'd meet, it would be love at first sight, he'd end up asking me to leave my husband, and then I'd really be stuck between a rock and a hard place...I do have 4 kids you know! (SIGH)

Anyway, back to Food Network...

So much to learn from so many talented chefs. To meet any one of them would be an awesome experience, but would I be "starstruck"?

Yes, yes I would...at least when it comes to Bobby Flay (love Throwdown!) and Duff Goldman (I mean, have you seen his cakes?!). Oops, sorry! I'm getting side tracked again, because it's neither Bobby nor Duff's recipe that I'm featuring today. It actually comes from Alton Brown.

Fresh lemon curd, yum!

I have to admit, I typically pass right by Alton's show Good Eats. But every now and then, during some late night channel surfing, his quirky demeanor and scientific explanations pull me in. Turns out, I've come to find some great recipes and picked up quite a few helpful tips. Thanks Alton!

Fresh Lemon Curd
5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled


Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.


So fresh and Springy, don't ya think! 

Hang on to this one...you just might need it next week ;)

Enjoy!


Comments

  1. If I I actually enjoyed lemony baked goods, I'd definitely cupcakes with this filling. Dad LOVES lemony baked goods! Banana nut cake for Mother's Day and my B'day? Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Food Network junky too. I am also a Cooking Channel junky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE lemon curd... so fresh and yummie :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I moved to France, I had, and still do, Food Network/Cooking Channel withdrawals. I loved Ace of Cakes and Food Network Challenge. A few months before my departure, I was lucky enough to meet Michelle Bommarito, an amazing repeat challenger on FNC! She inspired me to pursue culinary school! Now, I am having Paula Deen cravings, thanks... haha!

    Lemon Curd looks great, I will have to try it soon! I have never made it before and always having egg yolks laying around from my macarons. Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy recipe, and gorgeous photos and presentation!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the recipe and your pictures are soo pretty! I'm so glad I found your site, I'm a super Food Network junkie too! Glad to be a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts